I’m not sure about you, but everyone around me (even strangers in the elevator) keeps saying, “I can’t believe the holidays are here” or some variation of “I can’t believe” dealing with the end of the year. But, it happens every year, no? Why is it we can’t better prioritize ourselves to expect these things that happen regularly? Well, I’m part of that everyone, and it always amazes me how quickly the year passes.
And every year, I think about getting involved with a cookie swap, but it never happens because the holidays always sneak up on me. This year was different. I found out about The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap from Sweets by Sillianah early on, and I committed! I would have loved to host a cookie swap or participated in other B&M swaps, but this is a good start for me. Next year we’ll see if I can graduate to some of those.
Cashew Shortbread Cookies
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped cashews
1/3 cup powdered sugar for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, cream butter and vanilla until smooth.
3. Sift the 6 tablespoons powdered sugar and flour together and mix into the butter mixture until just blended. Mix in the chopped cashews.
4. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and place them about 2 inches apart on a Silpat-lined cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cool about 10 minutes, then roll cookies in remaining powdered sugar. Roll cookies a second time if desired.