Here’s another recipe from chockylit’s cupcakeblog. This was the first cupcake recipe of hers that I’ve been dying to try out. I even had a friend from California purchase and send me the exact brand of matcha used from his local Whole Foods because unfortunately, they don’t carry the brand on the east coast. I was very pleased with the whole cupcake, especially the frosting. I think it tastes like green tea ice cream. Yum.
slightly adapted from cupcakeblog
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons matcha
1. Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.
2. Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add eggs/egg yolks one at a time, beat for 30 seconds between each.
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add to batter and mix to combine.
5. Mix matcha in with the milk. Add to the batter and mix until combine.
6. Scoop into cupcake cups and bake for 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean. Makes about 60 mini cupcakes.
Matcha Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
4 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon matcha powder
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1. Mix matcha in with the light cream to make a paste.
2. Beat butter briefly, scrape bowl.
3. Add the sifted powdered sugar and matcha paste. Beat until smooth.
4. Continue to add milk for desired consistency.