Merry Christmas! Let me say, the shortbread traveled well, as did these biscotti. This was my first time making biscotti, and it couldn’t have turned out better. Be expecting more from me in this category from now on.
Well, that’s it from me for this year. I hope you all are spending quality time with family and loved ones this holiday season, and may 2008 be a great one for everyone!
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup dried cranberries (about 6 ounces)
1 egg white
3/4 cup white chocolate chopped, or white chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine 3 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl; whisk to blend.
3. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, eggs and almond extract in large bowl until well blended.
4. Mix in flour mixture, then dried cranberries and white chocolate. Divide dough in half. Using floured hands, shape each piece into 2 1/2-inch-wide, 9 1/2-inch-long, 1-inch-high log.
5. Transfer both logs to prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly.
6. Whisk egg white in small bowl until foamy; brush egg white glaze on top and sides of each log.
7. Bake logs until golden brown (logs will spread), about 35 minutes. Cool completely on sheet on rack. Maintain oven temperature.
8. Transfer logs to work surface. Discard parchment. Using serrated knife, cut logs on diagonal into 1/2-inch-wide slices.
9. Arrange slices, cut side down, on same sheet. Bake 10 minutes; turn biscotti over. Bake until just beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Transfer biscotti to rack. Makes about 28. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Freeze in airtight container. Thaw at room temperature.)