Happy Mardi Gras! In honor of Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, I made beignets straight from the box! Even though they came from a box, I assure you this is completely legit stuff since I brought it back from New Orleans just last month.
On my recent visit to New Orleans, I sampled some great eats, including my own tasting of beignets from Cafe Du Monde and Cafe Beignet. Maybe it was the time of day of the visit that made the difference, but Cafe Beignet’s beignets were immensely better than those of Cafe du Monde. That made it easy for me to choose whose mix I would bring back to make at home.
Beignets aren’t hard to make nor even time-consuming, so I wonder why there aren’t more beignet offerings up here in the north. Thankfully, now I can make them when I get the craving, and whenever my stash of beignet mix runs out (probably not too long from now), I’ll follow up with a beignet recipe from scratch.
Cafe Beignet Mix Beignets
from Cafe Beignet
2 cups of beignet mix
7 ounces of water
3 Tablespoons flour
sifted powdered sugar
1. Add water to beignet mix in a large bowl. Stir until mixture is uniform and fairly stiff. Add enough flour to prevent dough from sticking.
2. Let dough rise for 15 minutes and then roll dough until it is 1/8″ thick. Cut into 2 1/4″ beignet squares.
3. Using an electric skillet add 2″ of oil and heat until oil is 370F.
4. Add beignets and fry until light golden brown, and turn. Cooking time is just under 2 minutes.
5. Drain oil from beignets and sprinkle powdered sugar while hot.